This is probably the most popular section of the Buffalo, and the easiest place to experience unspoilt Zululand.
- Ideal for: Kayak, croc, raft
- Grade: 2 to 3
- Length: 9km
- Duration: 3 to 6 hours
- Type: Pool-drop, long rapids
- Put-in: Buffalo Rafters camp at Buffelshoek
- Take-out: Farm road. Arrange with Buffalo Rafters.
- Dam controlled: No
- Permits: Permission from Buffalo Rafters
- Commercial operators: Buffalo Rafters, Isibindi
Kayakers and commercial clients can all enjoy this technical piece of river. Everything is runnable, there are no weirs or waterfalls, but never get too relaxed. The Buffalo has many moods, and should never be underestimated.
The scenery is picturesque as it is everywhere along this river, and wildlife is plentiful. Expect to see giraffe, blue wildebeest, gemsbuck and many other animals. This area is also a birding paradise.
This river description is taken from my book “Run the Rivers of Southern Africa”.
If you have any pictures or recent information on this section of river to share, please contact me:
I appreciate any contributions to keep this content up-to-date.