This is the most difficult section before Hartebeespoort Dam. It has tight, tricky rapids, which cause lots of wear and tear on fibreglass boats when the water is low. At higher levels the rapids become really interesting.Ideal for: Croc, K1, kayak
- Grade: 1 to 3
- Length: 7km
- Duration: 1 to 2 hours in a K1, 3 to 4 hours in a croc
- Type: Pool-drop, tricky rapids
- Put-in: Friday’s Farm low-level bridge
- Take-out: Laughing Waters (54 River Road in Rhenosterspruit Private Reserve)
- Dam controlled: No
- Permits: Permission at entrance to Rhenosterspruit Reserve
- Commercial operators: Paddle Power
The major rapid on this section is the Confluence rapid, approximately 3km from the start. The rapid is found just before the junction of the Jukskei and Crocodile Rivers. To portage this one, get out on the left at the big rock and follow the path downstream. Competent paddlers will enjoy running it: it is about 500m long with lots of drops and turns. The rapid can be run in the middle or on the right.
A broken K1 in a tree on the left river-bank indicates the take-out point.
This river description is taken from my book “Run the Rivers of Southern Africa”.
If you have any pictures or recent information on this section of river to share, please contact me:
I appreciate any contributions to keep this content up-to-date.