This section is very similar to the section above Fugitive’s Drift; quite difficult in other words.
- Ideal for: Kayak, last section also croc and raft.
- Grade: 3 to 4, 5 at high water
- Length: 13km
- Duration: 4 to 8 hours
- Type: Pool-drop, long rapids
- Put-in: Fugitive’s Drift, leave vehicle at carpark. Walk down to river.
- Take-out: Buffalo Rafters camp at Buffelshoek
- Dam controlled: No
- Permits: Ask permission at both put-in and take-out
Scout all major rapids properly and don’t take any chances, the gorge is isolated. Some of the rapids should be portaged. The last 3km section from the Isibindi camp to Buffalo Rafters through the Posini gorge is a bit easier and is commercially rafted. Kayakers who only want to run the most difficult part can also arrange to take out at the Isibindi camp.
Detailed trip report on Adrian Tregoning’s blog: Buffalo River
This river description is taken from my book “Run the Rivers of Southern Africa”.
If you have any pictures or recent information on this section of river to share, please contact me:
I appreciate any contributions to keep this content up-to-date.